Saturday, December 14, 2019

Parenting Our Parents


Oh Pam,
My heart aches for you. You are at the time in your life when you have the bitter-sweet honor of  parenting your mother. Such a role reversal! All that love and care she took a lifetime pouring on you, now returns to her in your loving actions. She relies on you more than either of you could ever have imagined. You are her lifeline. It is a priceless gift you give. Yet it is a heavy yoke. I remember waking up each morning wondering what the day would bring. Hearing the phone ring would set me wondering “What now?” Dealing with Mom’s many emotions without revealing my inner turmoil was a daily struggle. I had to be strong for her because if she saw the chink in my armor, it added to her worries and concerns. Then there were the days my heart yearned for my “real” mom. The one who raised me. The one who was strong for me. The one who took care of me! And yes, the one who through example showed what love looked like. The one who raised a strong woman. So, mostly not feeling very strong, I cherished what she could give me. A smile when I entered the room. A pat on the hand. A bony hug. A flash of that wonderful sense of humor. Pam, the gift you are giving your mom is wrapped with love and tenderness, as well as tears.  Sweet memories and sweet heart-ache, kindness and goodness. God’s light is shining through.  My prayer for you during this emotionally laden time is that you will feel God’s presence as he nurtures you soul.

Love you my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment